Saturday, July 05, 2008

My First Harvest

About a week ago I came home to finally see a ripe tomato on the vine. I've been waiting forever. It was so cute, so perfect, and just so delicious. They are kind of going crazy now, and we're enjoying a lot of tomatoes, but I think because they don't get as much sun as they should that they'll take a little longer to ripen and I guess that is ok. Mircea eats so many tomatoes that we may never have the bounty I want in order to make salsas and sauce, but they are good. I've really fallen in love with tomatoes since I had this little guy. I have been having sandwiches with tofu, bacon bits (they're vegan!) and tomatoes. So yummy. I actually have a very strange tomato-phobia. I don't like to eat tomatoes that I don't have control over. I can purchase them, wash them and cut them, but I can't eat them if someone else did. I had to watch my dad cut them when I was a kid, but I still wouldn't really eat them. I'm just now able to eat cut tomatoes in Mexican food. For some reason though, I never had a problem with salsa. But I didn't eat ketchup at all until like 3 months ago. I'll get my own straight jacket thank you. It's in the closet behind the Colts serape.

2 comments:

Stephany said...

A and I grow tomatoes in our veggie garden each year, when we get a huge bounty, do this:

Put a pot of water on the stove and get a bowl of ice water. Cut a small X in the bottom of the tomato skin. Place in boiling water for about 30 seconds to 1 minute. Remove and go right into the ice water - then remove it and peel the tomato, you can then dice them up and place in freezer containers in 14 oz. increments, like canned tomatoes - then use as you need all winter long - just defrost and drain or run under warm water to get rid of the ice. You can use to make soups, stews, sauces, salsas, salads, etc.

Missy said...

Yay for tomatoes! Ours have been delicious!