Friday, March 21, 2008

The 30 Day Vegan

After reading the book, Skinny Bitch, I was propelled into returning to a healthy lifestyle...it's been about 10 years since I was a vegetarian, but I want to try eating a vegan diet. I was reading a lot about the environmental and social impacts of eating meat, and I was ashamed of myself for "forgetting" the treatment of animals that stopped me from eating meat so long ago. Unfortunately, I'll be pulling a Tawnya (say it isn't so!) and will not cease to eat sushi. I won't eat fish as a meal, per se, but I will not eat any animal product with one exception-raw fish. I took a long, hard look at myself and realized that there is no way that I will give up my sushi; not for health, not for the environment, not for my love of all animals, even the slimy kind.

Vegan isn't the only thing. I am going to completely eliminate all refined and processed foods. I just want to see what happens. I know that processed and hydrogenated foods aren't good for a person, so I'm going to try to cut them out of my diet.


I want to make a clarification. I am not doing this to lose weight. I can lose weight if I just follow Weight Watchers and exercise (two things I haven't been doing well this year, but I CAN do it-I've proven that before!), but I'd like to be healthy. I'd like to treat my body with the respect it deserves. So let's see what happens. I'm going to start on Monday, as I've already agreed to attend a lovely Easter feast care of Mircea's mom and I don't think I can convince her to keep it vegan. In fact, I'm sure of it.


I created a blog The 30 Day Vegan, but it might not work for a few days because it was flagged as a "spam blog" but Blogger assures me that since I'm a real person, it will be fixed and I'll be able to keep a log of my 30 days.

2 comments:

Anonymous Me said...

Good luck! I look forward to reading about your progress. :-)

kismetsCIRCUS said...

Go ahead! I can't do it I already looked into it at the beginning of the year. I like eggs and fish. I refuse to drink soymilk or ricemilk any more. There's the octo (i don't know the exact name and i'm being lazy) vegetarian. I can cut out fowl, cows, and pigs as long as i can eat seafood and eggs then we can all live harmoniously.