Tuesday, October 24, 2006

The Weekend: Mojito Edition

I had such a great weekend visiting with Patty. She came in on Thursday night, and our originial plan was for her to get a "taste of st. mary's county" and visit the Dew Drop Inn (the home of many a SMIB bachelorette party). Well, her flight was delayed a gazillion times and she didn't actually get into my car until about 11:30, a mere 4.5 hours after her arrival time. Needless to say she didn't get to visit the Dew Drop, but we did enjoy a Blue Moon at my house with the cats. The next day we lazily wake up and drive up to the Germantown area to visit with her friend Emily that she went to school with. Emily is a blast and we went out to a bar in Germantown with another friend of hers to watch a metal band. That's right, a "metal band". It was slighty terrifying and the clientele was very interesting. I absolutly loved the mohawked bartender, and shed a tear to see that he was married. As if I would ever say anything to him, but still.
My favorite part of the evening was that the guy in the band we were there to watch (which of course didn't get onstage until midnight) looked like just a regular normal joe. The rest of the guys in the group were a little grungier, but it seemed as though this guy just stepped out of his office in khakis and a t-shirt and decided "you know what? I'm just going to go sing metal for this group" and proceeded to yell his heart out and strain his vocal chords. They were actually pretty good, but the "yelling" gets to me sometimes.

The next night when went to Kellee's house (the friend of Emily) in DC, and then met up with some other college friends of Patty's at the Banana Cafe, which wasn't the best...well I guess it was good, I was "three mojitos to the wind" so I barely tasted my food. The plaintains were great, but can you ever screw up a plaintain? I think not.

After the Banana Cafe we staggered our way to this other bar, which I have no idea what it is. I was so trashed on those three mojitos, because I had no idea they were so strong and I rarely drink hard liquor. I just kept ordering waters all night, because it was clear that I had my fun. As I sobered up I noticed how quiet it was in the bar. That's when I realized that the bar was full of deaf people. They were all signing and it was quiet (including when I shattered a glass) and actually kind of nice. I think we were some of the only hearing people in there, and it was nice to not have to shout over people.

1 comments:

Missy said...

I must say that I don't think that I have ever eaten a plantain. I live a very sheltered life.