Thursday, April 24, 2008

Day 30: It's Only Just Begun

On day one, when I "enjoyed" a can of kidney beans for lunch I thought, "this is not for me." When I was in San Diego, eating tofu sandwiches, I thought otherwise. When I failed at making my own tofu sandwiches I thought, "I guess I'll have to move to San Diego". I love eating this way. Would I say it is permenant-I have no idea? I don't know what the future will hold, maybe in my lifetime animals will be treated fairly and I can eat them again. Or maybe I'll be a "freegen", someone who eats vegan food unless someone else purchased the non-vegan food or it is being thrown away. I don't really want steak, chicken or pork. I don't want eggs, cheese, or yogurt. I do sort of want to have some fish, occasionally, and I know that makes me an awful person, but I feel like we can all do the best that we can. I've already stopped eating processed foods, hydrogenated oils, refined sugar, and refined flour and rice (except in my beloved sushi). No more soda, no more coffee...but maybe a little fish once and awhile. I live in Maryland, for God's sakes-we have nothing else to look forward to except an occasional crabcake.

I'd like to start experiementing a little more with cooking, and with that, I'll start to post some recipes, etc. My standard meal is just rice, beans, olives, and tofu, and I'm still not doing a great job with tofu so it's getting a little old.

I dare anyone to join me...for 30 days. At the very least, it is a nice test of willpower and you may find that it makes you feel happier and healthier. And you may just realize how much you appreciate the meat that you do have in your diet. I dare you to try and find out!

0 comments: