Friday, August 29, 2008

Its a Though She's Trying to Kill Me

This house thing is getting to be too much. It's 1 am, I can't sleep, and I should be celebrating right now because our offer was accepted. However, the seller's realtor seems to put a monkey wrench in anything she can to get us to not get this house...but has no problem selling it to others. I'm starting to think it's a race issue and I'm getting pissed.

Here's the deal. We put in a low offer on this house a few weeks ago, expecting a counter, or even a rejection. We get nothing. NOTHING. So we talk about it and decide that since this sale requires Third Party Approval, that we'll put in our high end offer and just wait. Ok, so this is what we do. All of a sudden, the seller accepts it and says we have 30 days to close. We gently remind her that we need the Third Party Approval (TPA) and she signs an addendum saying that we don't have to do all this stuff (appraisals, inspections) until the bank approves. DUH. So on Wednesday I get a call from our Realtor saying that they approved the sale on the house for our asking price, but that they would not cover closing costs. We look at our finances and decide, you know what, we want this house, so we'll accept the Bank's offer, good to go. Our Realtor calls theirs and has to leave a message to accept. Then our Realtor goes online and looks at the listing. The Seller's agent has posted online that the Bank has approved the sale for "Blank" dollars and won't cover closing. Hurry up they want to close now. I'm sorry, but isn't this our offer to respond to since we have a contract in? Fast forward to Thursday morning, when she calls our Realtor who asks her why she has changed the price of the home, as well as volunteering our offer to others. Their Realtor says, "Oh, if they want it, just give me an offer of "5K less than Blank" and we'll get it ratified, etc. Our Realtor says that we accept this price and we'll send the paperwork. We get the stuff signed and then Mircea says to me "why would they offer it to us at 5k less than what they offered yesterday?" Good question. So our brains are just spinning right now. Of course I signed the papers yesterday that said the 5k less amount, because that is what the Realtors discussed, but why the heck would that even be the case? Why would they give that to us? I really think she made us do a counter offer to wait for another offer and start some bidding war. Why would she do this? I mean, am I supposed to trust a woman who it appears really doesn't know how to do her job? Why do we get a special deal? Why the hell couldn't we have just said "we'll do the full price", but who in their right mind would do that when she made that offer to our Realtor?

Ok, I know that I probably sound like a ranting lunatic, but what the hell is this? This is already the most stressful thing I've ever done in my life, I'm borrowing from my retirement to do it, I'm taking a huge step with my boyfriend, and I can't get straight answers from anyone. If we lose this house because of this 5k difference, I am going to fall to pieces. To pieces. I'm already there because I have no idea what is going on, and in a great turn of events we're coming into a long weekend so I shouldn't expect anything until at least Tuesday, and oh wait, their realtor is a psycho so who knows what this whole set up is.

So that's why its Friday morning, 1 am, I'm on the verge of tears, I can't sleep at all (this is several days now) and I'm putting all my trust in a woman who it seems doesn't want us to have this house. I don't know if I need a hug, a drink, or someone to just tell me what the heck is going on. I know that it's going to be "ok", but if it's "ok" without us in this house because of a measley 5 grand, I think I will curl up in fetal position and not come out until Mircea finds some other house for us to buy. I'm done. I have expended everything I have into this and I'm pulling from reserves to get my work done at the office because that has been really stressful as well.


Sarah said...

Poor Kate! I'm sending you virtual hugs. Buying a house is a pain in the ass, but it'll all be over eventually (I just hope for your sanity it's over soon rather than later!) Is the house in Lusby?

Kate said...

Yeah, I'll stay a Lusbian. It's about 3 minutes from our current home, and I'd share pictures and stuff if I didn't think it would jinx me further.

I'm so stressed out that *I* am not eating. Me. Oinky. Not eating.

Missy said...

Wow. As someone who has owned 4 different houses in a short 9 years, I have never seen such a confusing sales arrangement. You put in an offer, they either counter back, reject, or accept. If they counter back, you get to do the same until an agreement is reached... this should not be so hard!
very, very weird. I do hope everything works out for you, despite a crazy realtor.

Patty said...

I wonder if the seller's realtor think she's on eBay or something. People sell their houses on eBay right?

It's 1am and I'm waiting for my hair to dry. Also pondering if ferrets do make excellent pets or not. Do I get a liter box for them?

Kate said...

I think ferrets do ues a litter box. And they are a lot like cats. But they are a little smelly. Then again, so are three cats with varying levels of desire to use the litterbox.

This really is crazy. It's the exact opposite of what buying a house should be. And there's more to the story, but I'll update. Still have no clue if I'll be a homeowner, but let's jsut say their realtor pretty much tried to screw us out of it with the lower bid. I have one word to call her and I won't type it here.