Thursday, March 26, 2009

The Suspense is Killing Me Too

I didn't mean to give you a cliffhanger at the end of my last post. Certainly not one with such delayed gratification. I am also (not so) patiently waiting for the news. I can tell you what I'm not waiting for...
  • No, I'm not pregnant.
  • I'm not waiting for any sort of test result
  • I'm not getting married
Oh, I'll just spill it, prematurely of course, which is against my better judgement b/c I don't trust anything until it's in writing, but I'll throw caution to the wind. It's not really that big of a deal anyway, just that I got called to do an interview a couple of weeks ago with another program. Weeks had gone by and I assumed I hadn't been chosen for the position. Well, I got a call on Monday from the Human Resources lady saying that they'd like to offer me the position. It is supposed to be a raise, a full pay grade up from mine, which is something I've been patiently waiting for. The conversation went something like this, cementing that Government HR is, well, dumb.
I pick up the phone, "This is Kate"
"You've been selected for a position"
"Really? What program?"
"Ummm," shuffles papers, "Um, it looks like yada yada"
"That's not a program. Look for words like ______"
"Oh, here it is, program whatever. Do you want the job?"
"What's the salary? When is the start date?"
"Ummmm, I'm not sure. Are you interested?"
"I'm interested, but need more details before I can officially say yes or
no"
"Ok, I'll call you back this afternoon with the final offer."

She has not called. I called her yesterday and she said she was still trying to figure out the final offer. Why is that you would call someone when you had no information about the job at all? Does that make any sense? So of course I told my current job and now they are scrambling to try and keep me and get me the promotion that they've been promising me for 6 months. It's just so...strange. Everything is up in the air. Will I be getting the huge raise I've been praying for?
So I continue to look at my phone every two seconds to make sure it is plugged in. Keep your fingers crossed.

4 comments:

photomommy said...

Chick sounds like a moron. Wishing you luck! =)

Syl said...

I have a friend who started working for the SSA a few months ago. It must be a government thing because she had similar experience.

Jenn said...

I'm wishing you the best of luck!!! Are you staring at your phone chanting "ring, ring, ring"? I've been known to do that on occasion! LOL

Becky said...

fingers corssed for you! Good luck!