Monday, October 08, 2007

Ye Olde Renaissance Faire

This weekend we (Mircea, Ben, Robyn, Malyna and myself) went to the Maryland Renaissance Faire. I hate the RennFest, let me just get that out there right off the bat. I think the outfits are really annoying, and it seems to be an opportunity to simply show a lot of freaky breasts and for other people to just dress like clowns. I have to say, some people might never have looked in a mirror, but they do at least have a little more self-esteem than I do. I am not sure I envy that, maybe I have a little more sense.

It was about 90 degrees yesterday (it felt like 400) and it was so dry that we had a thin layer of black dirt all over us. Despite the heat and my rip-roaring cold that I have right now, I had a pretty good time. We saw some really cool shows. My favorite was Hilby, the Skinny German Juggle Boy, who put on a great show that was very funny and witty.
We also saw the show Hack and Slash, which was pretty good too. Normally I find stuff like this a little painful, but this was pretty good. I actually had some trouble with my gag reflexes during the sword swallower (that's Johnny Fox), but all in all the shows were funny.
I had some other stuff to say about the faire, but can't seem to think of them right now. The only one I can think of is that a lot of those people looked to not have a lot of money and Robyn and I felt a little bad thinking about how they were spending their money on something like the Renn Fest...but everyone enjoys some time out...but still, it was a little weird.

2 comments:

Missy said...

I have never been to a Renaissance Fair, but it sounds fun. Glad that you had a good time!

Anonymous Me said...

I think my favorite part of this post was the tag--"skinny germans." :-) I've never been to the Ren Fair, but I hear the steins you get when you buy beer are pretty cool!