Monday, December 21, 2009

Book Challenge!

I'm trying to explore more hobbies for myself and there's no better time to do so than when Mircea starts school in a few weeks. My life doesn't revolve around him on a daily basis by any means, but most evening after our days' events we do end up parking our butts on the couch and hanging out. Alas, that butt-parking will cease and while I've signed up for some exercise classes I also started working on a reading list, which I've already been dutifully crossing books off of. Today I read my friend Sarah's blog and she'd posted this Gilmore Girls Reading Challenge. I think I'm going with the Rory, as I do have a fair amount of free time on my hands and I'm currently averaging about 2 books a week and Mircea's not even in school yet!

Here's my list: My criteria was that I hadn't already read the book-even as a child-which is why my children's book list is short!

Classics:

Jane Austen Pride & Prejudice
Emily Bronte Wuthering Heights
Charles Dickens Great Expectations
H.D. Thoreau Walden (I didn't read it the first time!)
Leo Tolstoy War and Peace

Childrens/Young Adult

L. Frank Baum The Wizard of Oz
Lewis Carroll Alice's Adventures in Wonderland
Kate D. Wiggin Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm

Modern Classics (I have more of these to make up for childrens)

F. S. Fitzgerald Tender is the Night
Franz Kafka Metamorphosis
M. Mitchell Gone With the Wind
George Orwell Nineteen Eighty-four
JD Salinger The Catcher in the Rye
John Steinbeck The Grapes of Wrath
Kurt Vonnegut Slaugherhouse Five


Non-Fiction

A. Bourdain Kitchen Confidential: Adventures in the Culinary Underbelly (even though he was a total asshole on his No Reservations: Romania)
Ann Collett Swimming with Giants: My Encounters with Whales, Dolphins and Seals
William Gibson The Miracle Worker
Jack Kerouac On the Road
Michael Moore Farenheit 9/11

Other

J. Eugenides The Virgin Suicides
Henry Farrell What Happend to Baby Jane?
Frank McCourt Angela's Ashes
William Styron Sophie's Choice
J. Susann Valley of the Dolls

1 comments:

kismetsCIRCUS said...

On the Road is one my favorite books. It's not quick read because he tells you so much and sometimes it seems like nonesense (hello drugs). You might want to do like a heavy, light combo so you don't get super depressed by some of the choices...youknowwhati'msayin'.

Good luck woman! I'm reading a graphic novel version of Pride and Prejudice, because i didn't have enough copies of the original.