Sunday, April 19, 2009

Oh, I Forgot to Share

As if this week wasn't annoying enough, I finally got news from Human Resources on Tuesday. The news? I got screwed over. There are two pay systems that the Gov't is currently working with, NSPS and the old standard GS pay scale. I am on the GS payscale and the job that I was offered for my promotion was on the NSPS scale. The NSPS scale has a rule that you can't get more than a 5% raise...but HR told me that this wouldn't affect me as I was coming in from the GS pay scale. LIES! It did affect me and I would have only received a tiny raise if I took this other job. So I had to decline, which was annoying, especially after a month of wondering what would happen and being told that I would be getting a considerable raise. (Don't worry, I didn't spend the "money") So I'm pissed, and I will keep waiting and hoping that I can get a promotion within my own program, since the past few weeks have been filled with my program trying to keep me. So we'll see. And yes, I realize that I am very fortunate to even have a job, let alone complain about not getting more than a 5% raise opportunity. I realize that economy isn't going so great (the understatement of the century) but in my area and my career field, I seem to be the only one that is standing there going "why?" while everyone else is compensated for their hard work. Ok, enough bitching, but I had promised an update when I heard something.

Oh and the HR lady was a total waste of space. I ended up calling her supervisor who put a new hire on my case, and he was fantastic. He was learning, but he was very polite and courteous and thank goodness they are getting better people there.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kate, You did not know this but You were not being promoted, You were being reassigned. A reassignment is limited to 5%. A promotion can quailify for a 6% raise and even more in some cases. It sounds like Your new Job offer would have fall into the "Like work Catigory" I have just been thorough what You had gone through. At first I did not recieve a pay raise for my Promotion, that under NSPS was conciderd a reasignment. After six months of learning and fighting, I recieved a 5% pay raise as well as a WGI buy in. WGI buy in is money You are paid for the time You have spent towards Your next Step increase.